Any time you are requesting a variation from your regular degree requirements you should file a formal petition. The petition helps insure that everyone is in agreement about your program requirements and that they are documented.


Use the University Petition Form. Petition forms are available in the Office of the Registrar, 130 Coffey Hall and online through One Stop.

  • Write your petition clearly, stating your request and reasons supporting your request. Assume the person(s) reviewing your petition does not know what you are requesting.
  • Petitions for exceptions to major requirements must first be reviewed by your advisor and then forwarded on to the major coordinator for final decision.
  • Petitions for exceptions to other academic policies or non-major requirements; e.g. late drop, retroactive course cancellation, etc., must first be reviewed by the student's advisor and then forwarded on to the Student Scholastic Standing Committee in 130 Coffey Hall for final decision.
  • We will send you an e-mail message letting you know that your petition has been reviewed. You may pick up your copy of the petition in the Advising Center - 130 Coffey Hall.
  • Once acted upon, petitions are scanned and saved in an e-file and a copy is sent to your advisor. The material is then updated on your APAS report.
  • You should keep your copies of petitions until you have been officially cleared for graduation in case any questions arise about your program plan.

More details on petitions relating to University Liberal Education requirements can be seen here.

Transfer students should process any petitions related to the transfer of credit as soon as possible after transfer.