Changing Your Major

Your first choice of major in CFANS may not suit you as your interests develop, and as you discover all the college has to offer. Students may decide a different major would suit them better, particularly as they learn more about academic topics and career paths. If you're considering changing to a different CFANS major, follow the steps below.

Changing Majors Within CFANS

Students planning to switch to another CFANS major should begin by learning more about it, browse CFANS majors. You're welcome to contact an advisor in the CFANS Advising Center for assistance.

To change your major:

  1. Make an appointment with an academic advisor in the CFANS Advising Center, Room 130 Coffey Hall. Learn more about the major's requirements and ask questions. Be sure that you are admissible to the major of interest; several CFANS majors have additional GPA, course, or portfolio entrance requirements that you must satisfy before you're eligible for admission. 
  2. Complete a "Change of Major" form. You can pick up the form in the Advising Center or you can access the major form online (.pdf).
  3. Bring the completed and signed form to your advising meeting.
  4. The advisor will review your request for the change of major and, if you meet the admission requirements for the major, will admit you to the major and assign you to an academic advisor and faculty mentor.

Changing to a Major in a Different U of M College (not CFANS)

Students who want to change to a major in a different U of M college (in the Twin Cities or at a coordinate campus) should consult with the department that offers the prospective major. Learn more about it, determine its admission requirements, and apply.

Submit your change of college application using the electronic application for undergraduate change of college.