It's never too early to start thinking about what or where in the world you might want to study. Planning ahead is key.
Study abroad programs can be short-term, ranging from one to four weeks, or long-term, from one semester to a full academic year in length. You can also participate in an internship or conduct research abroad.
Here’s how to select and apply for a program that’s the best fit for you:
- Think about your goals and interests.
- Create an online profile and complete the First Step Session on the Learning Abroad Center website.
- Research study abroad program options led by CFANS faculty. You can also explore CFANS Major Advising Pages and the Learning Abroad Center’s program search to view program options listed by major, program type or location.
- Schedule a First Step Meeting with a program selection advisor. They will help you find a program that matches your academic, career and personal goals. You can also take advantage of CFANS OIP virtual advising.
- Meet with your academic advisor to discuss your plans. Together, identify the best time for you to go abroad based on the courses in your Four-Year Plan. Use the Academic Planning for Study Abroad form to guide you in determining how your study abroad coursework can fulfill your academic requirements.
- Schedule a Financial Aid Preview Meeting to meet one-on-one with a financial aid counselor at the Onestop office in 333 Bruininks Hall to discuss how your financial aid package may apply to the program you selected. If applicable, consider inviting your parents to this meeting.
- Research the Learning Abroad Center and CFANS study abroad scholarship opportunities. Consider applying for the CFANS Passport Program.
- Apply for a program. Specific application instructions can be found on your study abroad program’s web page.
While our CFANS short-term program options are designed primarily for undergraduate students, occasionally some courses incorporate graduate students as well. Please speak with our office about your interests to further explore the possibility of a short-term study abroad program.
If you would like to discuss your plans further or have additional questions, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.