Hello CFANS Students!
I grew up next to dairy farms in Southeastern Wisconsin, but also near large cities Milwaukee and Chicago. I lived in the the Upper Peninsula of Michigan from 2000-2007, where I earned my Bachelor's degree at Northern Michigan University and served two years with AmeriCorps as well as studied abroad in Alicante, Spain. I have worked at Normandale Community College, the University of WI-River Falls and Inver Hills Community College primarily in Federal TRIO programs, academic advising, career services and service-learning. I earned my Master of Arts in Leadership from Augsburg College.
I have lead groups of students in domestic service trips through the organization "Students Today Leaders Forever" and study abroad experiences to Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Egypt. I am passionate about supporting first-generation and underrepresented students to successfully pursue their goals.
I love to learn about other cultures, talk about food, cooking, the outdoors and traveling.
We, as advisors, are committed to providing a comfortable, inclusive, and respectful environment for all members of our communities. If there is information you feel would be helpful for us to know, including disability or other accommodation needs, I invite you to share.
The philosophies that guide my advising practice are rooted in proactive advising techniques that I developed from my years of work in Federal TRIO programs. Strong focus is put on building holistic relationships and trust with the students I work with. I also honor their unique as well as diverse stories by giving them space to engage and share information with me. I view this relationship as a reciprocal partnership. My goal is to support, educate, learn, guide and empower students to achieve their academic, personal and professional goals.
Professional Development Highlights and Focus Areas
- 2022 NACADA Region 6: Excellence in Advising - Advising Administrator
- CFAN 3096: Making the Most of Your Internship
Equity and diversity related development:
- CEI441 Teaching for Student Well-Being Program
- University of Minnesota Equity and Diversity Basic Certificate (May 2018)
- University of Minnesota Equity and Diversity Advanced Certificate (May 2019)
- CFANS Committee on Diversity and Inclusion (CDI) (July 1, 2018 through June 30, 2020)
- CFANS Committee on Diversity and Inclusion (CDI) (July 1, 2020 through June 30, 2022)
- CFANS Committee on Diversity and Inclusion (CDI) (July 1, 2022 through June 30, 2024)
International and learning abroad related development:
- Co-led CFAN 3518 Environmental Issues in New Zealand (January 2018)
- Previously co-led study abroad experiences to Laos, Thailand, Vietnam and Egypt